At RMT Ottawa our mobile massage therapists are often called to help individuals who suffer muscle spasms or cramps. Our registered professionals are able to employ different methods to help reduce these contractions.
Muscle spasms are involuntary actions where the muscle constricts usually causing some degree of discomfort or pain. Some of the common causes are:
- Muscle dehydration
- Overuse of the muscle
- Poor circulation
- Improper preparation before exercise or other strenuous activity
There are several types of massage that our mobile massage therapists use to help our clients.
- Deep Tissue Massage – A deep-tissue massage is pretty much what it sounds like. The therapist works down into the muscle to release tension by stretching and loosening the tissue.
- Remedial Massage – This is when the tissue is manipulated to provide more relaxation. This increases the lymphatic flow and allows waste products that have accumulated in the muscle to dissipate. This pulling and stretching will actually allow the muscles to relax and generally the client also relaxes mentally as well.
- Swedish Massage – This is the process of creating friction between the client’s skin and the therapists fingers. This will increase circulation of both blood and lymph fluid. Any waste products that have accumulated in the muscle are released leaving room for oxygen and nutrients to enter the tissue. This type massage has proven beneficial in cases of muscle fatigue.
There are various techniques used within each of these massage types.
- Effleurage – This is the application of long strokes by the therapist using his or her flattened hands. The movement stretches the muscles leaving them more pliable. It is effective in cases where the spasms are caused by the patient not moving for quite some time, like someone who stands at a service counter for hours.
- Kneading – Just like making bread by hand, kneading uses firm pressure to both pull and squeeze the muscles at intervals. The friction of this action will increase blood flow and reduce tightness, resulting in less muscle fatigue.
- Trigger Point – This is direct and firm pressure to specific points within the muscle. When a muscle has been overused to the point of spasm, the range of motion is severely impacted. Using this trigger point pressure will create an ischemic reaction, which is a biochemical reaction. When the affected area is treated with this trigger point pressure, the person may feel the area a bit numb but as the blood flow increases, the spasm is released.
The registered massage therapists who work through RMT Ottawa are all skilled in the various types of massage and the appropriate techniques to use to relieve muscle spasms. If you are prone to these cramps and feel that massage therapy would be of benefit, please contact our office for an appointment. In fact with our mobile massage therapy service, you won’t even need to travel. We will come to you to provide the relief you seek. Feel free to call and discuss the possibilities.
Plan a Visit
We have made it easy to book an appointment. With our service, you can schedule your mobile massage therapy session. Our rates are competitive and we accept most forms of payment. We are happy to accept private insurance clients and will be happy to help with the paperwork.