Post Injury Rehabilitation
Injuries can happen at any time, but those who are especially active in sports are probably more likely to incur an injury at some point.
Post Injury Rehabilitation
Massage therapy can play a critical role in the rehabilitation process. Through the use of approved techniques our mobile massage therapists are able to relax the muscles and encourage the circulatory system to bring healthy nutrients to the injured areas.
At RMT Ottawa, our specialists are able to help with the recuperation from a variety of injuries and conditions:
- Broken bones
- Muscle tears
- Scar tissue
Our registered massage therapists use remedial, massage, Swedish massage, deep tissue massage, and sports massage, often combining different techniques to suit the client and the injury.
There are specific areas that massage therapy can help during the rehabilitation process.
- Pain management – Soft tissue injuries are common because the muscles and connective tissue will protect and tighten around the injured area. As the tissues are loosened, the pain eases.
- Flexibility – By manipulating and massaging, circulation increases as well as a relaxation of the muscles, tendons and ligaments. Scarring can create some range of motion issues. By reducing the tightness and increasing blood flow, the range of motion often increases. Muscles are actually fibers that overlap each other. Careful massage therapy will stretch those fibers to give them more elasticity and flexibility.
- Scarring –When scarring occurs, collagen is produced around the site. This is a tough substance. Massage therapy will relax and break down the collagen to reduce the scar tissue and to increase normal motion. Since it is less tight, the muscle will be less painful.
There are physiological effects that come from using massage therapy after an injury.
- Capillarization – This involves the blood vessels. Massaging increases the size of the blood vessels so more blood can reach all of the affected tissues. This also means more oxygen and nutrients to aid in the healing process.
- Realignment of collagen – When an injury occurs, the body naturally produces more collagen to protect the damaged muscles. If the collagen is in excess, the muscles become less flexible. Massage will move the collagen around so that it continues to help the muscle but does not constrict movement as much.
- Elasticity – Massage works by increasing the temperature under the skin to create more blood flow. The warmth also allows the muscles to become looser and allowed to stretch. This stretching will result in a greater range of motion.
There are many benefits to having massage therapy after an injury during the rehabilitation process. The increased blood flow means that the damaged tissues will receive more oxygen and nutrients to spur healing. The blood flow will also allow lactic acid and other waste products to be moved out of the tissue. Greater circulation also means the muscles are more relaxed which will result in a greater range of motion and a quicker return to daily activities.
If you are recovering from an injury, contact RMT Ottawa to arrange for a consultation to see if our mobile massage therapy sessions can be of benefit.
Plan a Visit
We have made it easy to book an appointment. With our service, you can schedule your mobile massage therapy session. Our rates are competitive and we accept most forms of payment. We are happy to accept private insurance clients and will be happy to help with the paperwork.